Welcome!

I created this blog as a TN 5th grade Math resource for parents and students.

Math Help

Look above for links to see what we are working on in Math every 9 weeks!

Follow me!

Use Google, Twitter, or Yahoo & follow my blog! Comments welcome!
 

DIVISION: Word Problems 9-27-10 to 10-8-10

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

SPI 5.2.3 Select a reasonable solution to a real-world division problem in which the remainder must be considered.


This week, we will be working on word problems involving division. They will have to understand when a remainder is important and when it is not important.
How many school buses are needed for a fieldtrip of 90 kids when each bus can carry 35 kids?
90/35=2.57 or 2 remainder  20
They would need 3 buses because 2 buses would be full and one would have 20 kids on it. 


We will also be working on this SPI 5.1.3 Recognize the unit associated with the remainder in a division problem or the meaning of the fractional part of a whole given in either decimal or fraction form. 

**Sometimes remainders are in "R" remainder form, "decimal" remainder form, or "fraction" remainder form. 








SPI 0506.2.4 Solve problems involving the division of two- and three-digit whole numbers by one- and two-digit whole numbers.

The first week we worked on 1 digit divisors and 2 digit dividends.
15/2= 7.5 or 7 remainder 1

The second week we worked on 1 digit divisors and 3 digit dividends.
 125/5= 25 or 25 remainder 0

Last week we will be working on 2 digit divisors and 2 & 3 digit dividends.
24/12= 2 or 2 remainder 0
125/25= 5 or 5 remainder 0




Please go to links for 1st Nine Weeks to find games and worksheets to help with this week's lesson/skills!
Click for Games & Help On This SPI Lesson!
Please let me know if you or your child is using this site. I would love the feedback. Click here for a good game to practice beginning long division.
Signing off, Mrs. Burger :-)Signing off, Mrs. Burger :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Mrs. Hanah Burger. This is my 4th year teaching 5th grade math at Blythe-Bower Elementary, and I love what I do. My goal is to make as many math nerds out there to love numbers and change the world with their knowledge! I just finished my Masters, and I hope to one day go back for my EDs. I have two amazing kiddos, Mikaela (6) and Peyton (3), as well as a great hubby, Jonathan. They mean the world to me. :0D

Visitors

Blog Archive

Followers